Contact lenses are a good alternative to wearing glasses every day. However, it is important to follow certain rules to ensure good visual health.
Here are a few tips on how to care for and use them:
- If you use monthly or bi-weekly disposable lenses, it is very important to wash the lens case daily with the lens solution, even if you do not put your contact lenses in. A stagnant solution is an ideal bed for germs to grow. Do not use water to clean the case or contact lenses.
- Change the housing regularly to prevent the development of bacteria.
- Observe the manufacturer’s recommended lens wear time.
- Stop wearing your glasses if you are uncomfortable or if your eyes become red.
- Store your contact lens case in a dry place away from drafts. The bathroom is the worst place to leave your lens case because of pathogens.
Although contact lenses are a good alternative to glasses, having a pair of prescription glasses is highly recommended, whether it is to help you in case of broken lenses, an infection or simply to rest your eyes.
Your optician is the contact person for contact lenses. He or she can take the measurements of your eye, show you how to put them in and take them out, advise you on what to take according to your needs, and more.